Friday, October 21, 2011

Week -54: or, HTML is difficult

As I write, we are actually nearing the end of week -53.  Delayed on the stats again.  But this time, I have a good excuse.

I have just spent the past hour and a half teaching myself HTML in order that I can insert a good-enough looking table into these weekly posts.  We are keeping our stats on a Google spreadsheet, and the idea was to develop the spreadsheet so I/we could just copy and paste into a post every week.  Triathlon training, especially when you have a day job, is all about time management.  Prioritizing and working in efficiencies wherever you can.

So I spent an hour or two (maybe three) on the first attempt to integrate a Google spreadsheet.  I finally gave that up and realized I would have to do it in HTML.  So then add the hour and a half I just mentioned.  I now have 107 lines of HTML code to create this table.  And get this: I have an Excel document to generate that code. Which I had to create.  That took a little bit of time too.  But pretty sweet, right?  So here it is, for all of your viewing enjoyment:

(T-54 weeks and counting until New Zealand)
Matt Caroline
Swim
Sessions
0
0
Distance (m)
0
0
Bike
Distance (km)
103
114
Elevation (m)
547
547
Run
Sessions
2
2
Distance (km)
9
9
Backcountry
Distance (km)
0
0
Elevation (m)
0
0

After I finished, I started thinking about how much time it would have taken to just type in the data for every week.  There's only 54 more times I would have to do it.  That wouldn't take too long to calculate, I bet...

No comments:

Post a Comment