Monday, March 21, 2011

This just in!

Matt's dad sent me this super cute picture of Indy and I :) It makes me quite sad that it will be so long before I can get back to see him again - he's going to be all grown up!

He's under 20 pounds... maybe I should just be putting him in my carry-on to take back to Vancouver?

Sunday, March 20, 2011


Finally time for my first post! But something I just had to share... Matt's parents picked up their new puppy on Friday - a 9 week old Australian Labradoodle. And words are just not enough to express how unbelievably cute the little guy is!

Devil eyed but oh so cute :D

He is trying to be the devil, but I don't think it's working! He has 20 minute batteries to play and wriggle and run and jump and generally be good entertainment:

Wriggly puppy!!

Then it's recharge time:

Puppy recharge

Also thought I should mention Instagram - the absolutely fantastic (and free!) iPhone app that I've created the pictures with.  You should get it and give it a try!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Semi-Professional World Saver"

Just found pictures from our Névé attempt last year. One in particular stood out:

"Semi Professional World Saver"

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Garibaldi Névé - 2nd Attempt - Kaiboshed

Plans were for the Garibaldi Neve traverse this weekend. 3 days across what is apparently one of the best traverses in North America. Look how gorgeous it looks, even in the summer:

Last year we started up the trail, and it was raining so hard we couldn't see the cabin from 40 feet away. We stayed in the cabin overnight, and then went back the same way we had come.  I think it was not raining for about 10 minutes the entire weekend.

This year we looked at the weather forecast before we left.  They are calling for 50cm of snow in 3 days. Which sounds fun, but means you can't see the beautiful neve that is the entire point of the trip. Also means avalanche danger is extremely high.

So we will be reading books this weekend.  And planning our winter vacation. Which brings me to my question: which trip should we do?

1) An Epic Ski Traverse
         - Pemberton Icefield
         - Misty Icefield
2) A Remote Ski Adventure
         - Bella Coola by Ferry
         - Alaska Road + Ski Trip
3) A Nice and Relaxed Ski Vacation
         - Eldorado Cabin
         - Athelney Pass
4) Forget It. Let's Go Somewhere Warm.
         - Hawaii Bike Trip

All of these options sound good, but none are good enough compared to the others that make us excited to get planning them.  We've been thinking about this for a month now. If we're not careful, we're going to run out of winter. Sample pictures (not ours) are below, to give a feel for the type of vacation.


Arriving at Bella Coola




Zoa Peak - Trip Report


So all in all, an excellent trip.  Not quite the bluebird day we had been hoping for, but good temperatures and good snow.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Zoa Peak - Trip Plan

Back to the Coquihalla tomorrow, for an attempt at Zoa Peak. (click for details)

Recap for Feb

We missed a few weeks, so here's a quick rundown:

Two weeks ago was Sarah's bachelorette party, so Caroline was up at Whistler. I went to mount Baker with the ACC for my first actual, successful, ski touring trip of the year. It was awesome.

Last week was our first actual, successful, ski touring trip together. We went with Dan to the Coquihalla, and went up the Needle Peak route. Very fun. And very windy.